Reduce pain &
get back to living!
PRP therapy is a non-surgical treatment that promotes healing of musculoskeletal conditions using your body's natural growth factors. When you experience an injury, your body sends platelets to the damaged tissues, initiating the healing process. PRP therapy enhances this natural response by injecting a high dose of platelets directly into the target area, stimulating an amplified healing response.
Who Should Consider PRP?
PRP is ideal for patients who haven't found relief with traditional treatments like steroid injections, physical therapy, or bracing. It's also a great option for those looking to delay or potentially avoid surgery.
Benefits of PRP:
Minimally invasive and non-surgical
Enhanced healing with your body's natural factors
Extremely low incidence of side effects
Minimal downtime, allowing you to resume your routine post-injection
What to Expect During the Procedure:
PRP treatments are conducted in our Eagle clinic and typically last between 30 minutes to 1 hour. A tailored PRP formulation is prepared based on your specific needs, and the PRP is carefully injected into the target area using ultrasound guidance.
Commonly Treated Body Parts Include:
Is PRP Covered by Insurance?
PRP is not typically covered by commercial insurance companies or Medicare and is provided as a cash pay procedure. Our office staff can assist you with any insurance-related inquiries.
Get Personalized Care at FMI Center for Optimal Health:
Dr. Musnick provides comprehensive consultation and evaluation, tailoring PRP treatments to your specific condition. He ensures you receive education about your condition and all possible treatments, not limited to PRP. Dr. Musnick designs an integrated treatment program to decrease pain and promote optimal healing.
To schedule a PRP consult with Dr. Musnick, call FMI Center For Optimal Health at (208) 609-9130 or conveniently inquire online here today. We look forward to supporting you on your journey to optimal health!
At FMI Center for Optimal Health, Dr Musnick provides the highest level of consultation/evaluation before planning PRP for tendon, joint and osteoarthritis as well as for hypermobility. He is the author of chapters on both Osteoarthritis and Tendinopathy. At the conclusion of a Consultation for your pain, tendon, or joint problem, you will receive education about all of the tissues involved and what their condition is, all possible treatments (and how they work and fit into a timeline) for your condition (not just PRP). You will be educated about how PRP may fit into your treatment plan and what the best timing may be for it. He also designs a comprehensive and integrated treatment program so that PRP is done on all appropriate tissues in a region and that is integrated with a comprehensive treatment program to decrease pain and promote maximum healing.
PRP is a concentrated source of autologous (your own) platelets and it contains (and releases through degranulation) certain growth factors and cytokines molecules that may stimulate healing of bone, joints, tendons and ligaments.
Platelets are a specialized type of blood cell involved in blood clotting but are also involved in injury healing. Platelets contain large reservoirs of natural growth factors that are essential for cell recruitment and multiplication involved in wound healing and these same growth factors can aid degenerative joints, tendons and ligaments.
Part of the assessment is getting a CBC lab which contains a platelet count. The normal concentration of platelets circulating in our blood varies is about 150,000 - 400,000 platelets per microliter.
Studies show that we need to concentrate the platelet count in Platelet Rich Plasma to exceed 1,000,000 platelets per microliter. This is a concentration of 5x for most people or more if one’s platelet count is less than 200,000.
PRP is made in the clinic after a blood draw of from 30-60ml of blood. We then put the blood in sterile processing vials from a PRP sterile tray. We then use a centrifuge (in a 2 spin process) that separates the blood components and allows us to discard unwanted elements from the blood and to keep the platelets, growth factors, cytokines, and plasma that are used for PRP. The centrifuge takes about 10 minutes to concentrate the platelets after blood is drawn from the patient.
Some of the growth and healing factors found in PRP include:
Platelet Derived Growth Factor
Fibroblast Growth Factor
Transforming Growth Factor Beta
Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor
Insulin like Growth Factor 1, 2
Epidermal Growth Factor
Dr. Musnick’s Consultation: Dr. Musnick has 33 years of Sports Medicine experience and has designed a very comprehensive evaluation. You can expect the following:
• Identify all tissues generating pain
• Identify the issues (pathology) of the tissues
• Look at multiple tendons and muscles in the area
• Evaluate the health of the bones
• Evaluate the pain processing system and determine if it is sensitized or near threshold
• Will look at posture and movement patterns
• Will look at shoes and walking if ankle, knee or hip issues
• Will evaluate the spine and nervous system that influences the area
• Will check the stability of joints
• Will look at the joint above and below the painful joints
• Will include an Ultrasound scan if it is a tendon or ligament
• Education regarding all tendons that have pathology, the status of the joints and ligaments
• Education regarding the pain processing system
• Determination if PRP or another treatment is most appropriate
• If PRP is appropriate what tissues should be injected
The Treatment Plan: Dr Musnick’s treatment plan is very comprehensive which will give you options but will also give a higher likelihood for pain reduction, improved function and healing. Your treatment plan may include:
• Supplements to support joints, ligaments or tendons
• Homeopathic medicines to promote healing and for pain relief
• Exercise and activity modification
• Whether modalities applied to your tissues would be helpful like: Frequency Specific Microcurrent (to decrease inflammation and for nerve healing ), Laser to aid in healing and for pain relief and PEMF for cartilage stimulation
• Referral to other providers like Physical Therapist, Chiropractic, Massage